Sunday, April 15, 2012
Last week I got sick, too sick to work on any projects. I hate being still, even when sick. So I chose a task that only required wandering slowly and a lot of sitting. I planned my backyard make-over.
The Big Plan.
I dug out a map of our septic system first, and made a copy that I could write on. Then I grabbed my trusty 100' tape measure and marked all the important features in my yard with stakes and the hose. I added a couple of feet in each direction just in case my measurements were off.
I marked the existing apple and pear trees, and the perennial flower garden. Next came the re-do.
I want to make our yard more productive, but still dog-friendly and with plenty of open space for cook-outs. First came the clothesline, and this project is completed. Next, berry bushes. Lots of berry bushes. We love our chevre with berries, and a few berries from the back yard could really cut down on this expense...and give us organic berries picked at the peak of ripeness.
I found room for 8 gooseberries, 6 currants, a small grape arbor for the two vines I already have but have neglected, and a row of raspberries.
I marked the spot for each bush with a pail.
The gooseberries and currant plants are ordered and on their way, so getting the holes dug is a priority. I marked them off and took the sod off so the hubster can dig great big holes this weekend. The sod was set aside to feed to the growing chicks.
Nothing is wasted....nothing!
Each hole will be filled with finished compost. The sandy soil that is removed will be used to make up the raised hugelculture bed I'm making for the raspberries....more on this later. I also plan on putting a chunk of firewood into each berry bush hole, in the spirit of hugelculture.
Every job requires a supervisor. Biscuit always volunteers.
This re-do is a big job, so it will be broken up into smaller tasks and these will be wedged in between the hectic spring animal and gardening frenzy that is part of every homestead.