Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grapes!

Remember our grape arbor project last year?  Look what happened in just one year!

 Grapes!  Glorious grapes!
 
Free grapes!  Organic grapes!  MY GRAPES!
 
 
Can you tell I'm excited about this project?  I can't believe how this one little neglected vine has almost covered this 16x4' arbor in just a year.  And is producing many pounds of grapes!
 
What will I do with all these grapes?  I'm not sure yet.  I'll let you know this fall, barring any fungus or insect or bird damage, when I harvest and taste and decide what they will become.  Eat with some lovely home made goat Gouda?  Make into a grape pie?  Seed and freeze for future pies?  Make into wine?  We will see!  Stay tuned, and meanwhile, look around your yard....can you squeeze in an arbor?  They can be simple, like ours, or add an architectural and artistic element to a more formal, suburban yard.  Add a table and chairs or even a hammock, and you also have an outdoor living space.
 
I even hang laundry on the small section that is not yet covered with vines when my lines can't hold all my wash for the week.  I took the hubsters undies down for this photo, however.....

No comments:

Post a Comment