Monday, January 9, 2012

Chai latte.....total yum!

Now, I warn you, I've never actually had chai latte, or any other latte, for that matter.  My digestive system just will not tolerate commercial dairy products....only fresh, raw goat's milk.  Hubster and I are on day two of a rather strict dietary protocol for healing the bodies' ability to handle blood sugar, along with a component of adrenal healing.  No caffeine, no sugar, among other things....so no hot chocolate for breakfast for me!  (Whine....) 

Since I've never had it, I don't know if I got it "right...."  Here is what I came up with:
What you see above is the chai latte warming up in a stainless steel bowl set on a pan of simmering water.  We don't use the microwave anymore....we weaned ourselves off by first not nuking anything with protein in it, including milk.  Altered proteins are neuro-toxic.  That's your brain cells, by the way.  I want all of mine to remain intact, thank-you-very-much. 

The double boiler method is a gentle way of warming milk....and leftovers....carefully.  I picked up a bunch of small and medium bowls just for this purpose.  It takes only 3-4 minutes, not much longer than the microwave, really.  I test the milk by sticking a finger in it every minute or so until it is warm but not pasteurized. 

To make the chai latte, I used this recipe for chai tea concentrate.  I always have this in the fridge, so I filled a mug one third full of chai concentrate, added a few drops of stevia, and filled the mug with goat's milk (any milk will do.)  I poured it into the bowl to heat up, then back into the mug.  Sprinkle a pinch of some powdered spice on top for a nice touch....cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice....whatever you like.
It was surprisingly good.  Even the hubby liked it, which is very unusual.  He's not much of a fan of any hot drinks, so this says a lot for this blend. 

What's your favorite healthy treat?

 

2 comments:

  1. i can't wait to try this once i'm back on dairy :)
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is SOOOO good, Krista, especially with nutmeg and cinnamon floating on top!

    ReplyDelete